Ayurveda defines, health as “a state of equilibrium of Tridosha (3 humours governing principles of the body), Agni (metabolic and digestive processes), Dhatu (body tissues) and Malas (Waste products) with sense organs, mind and the soul are in a state of bliss”.
The loss of equilibrium of the three humors and other factors can occur as an outcome of faulty dietary habits, undesirable daily and seasonal routines, improper exercises or erratic actions of sense organs and body- mind complexes.
Therapeutic Healing focuses on restoring the balance of disturbed humours through diet, lifestyle interventions,administration of drugs, Panchakarma and Rejuvenation Therapy.
Before initiating the therapies various factors like health status of body, environment, vitality, time, digestion and metabolic power, body constitution, age, psyche, body compatibility and type of food consumed are taken in to consideration.
The diagnosis is done by careful note of patient’s bodily tissues, humours, the site of disease, patient’s vitality,dietary habits, gravity of clinical conditions, status of digestive power and details of personal, social, and environmental situation of the patient with proper clinical and laboratory investigations.
Types of Treatment Involved in Healing
Ayurveda focuses on different type of treatment modalities for therapeutic healing and wellness for the vitiated bodily humours.eg:-
Prescription of appropriate diet and activity
Avoidance of causes leading to disease or disease aggravation
Specific Drug Therapy enhance metabolism and healing
1. Palliative Therapy :
To pacify the vitiated and accumulated doshas by improving the digestive power and restoring the deranged metabolic process.
Involves restoring normalcy in the vitiated humors.
Executed through administration of various herbal and mineral preparations with drugs like appetizers and digestives with other activities with respect to assessing his health condition, diet, activity, habits and emotional status.
2. Purification Therapy :
- In Chronic or severe conditions the above therapy has to be supplemented with purificatory processes like Panchakarma.
- Initially the accumulated vitiated dosha is liquefied by resorting to external and internal oleation of the patient; followed by sudation therapy.
- Afterwards the elimination of vitiated dosha will be done through therapeutic emesis, therapeutic purgation , therapeutic enema, blood letting therapies and Errhine Therapy
- Functional in neurological and musculoskeletal disorders, certain vascular or neuro-vascular states, respiratory diseases, metabolic and degenerative disorders.
3. Prescription of appropriate diet and activity :
- Concepts of food has great ascendancy in Ayurveda along with physical and mental activities over physical and mental development of an individual.
- Appropriate usage of these factors aids in proper function of all body components and supports in healing, wellness and all types of life activities.
4. Psychotherapy :
- Emphasis on restraining the mind from the desires for unwholesome objects
5. Rasayana therapy :
- Deals with the promotion of strength and vitality.
Customized therapies focuses on altering the body’s balance through the administration of the right combination of treatment protocols with proper change in diet and lifestyle. Integrated approach of Ayurveda, Yoga and Dietry modifications helps in complete detoxification and improves the overall health of body.