Effective Ayurveda Treatment for PCOS
( Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome )
What is PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) ?
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal condition which affects a woman during her reproductive age. As the name suggests it is a single disease, but a combination of many factors. Almost 52% of women in India complain of PCOS. A recent survey tells that one out of 3 woman suffer from PCOS and is found to be a leading cause for increasing infertility cases too. But no need to worry in Ayurveda we have got the best treatment for PCOS in ayurveda.
Types of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) :-
There are mainly 4 classifications-
- Insulin resistant PCOS– This is the most common type of PCOS, caused by smoking, sugar, pollution, and trans fat. Here, high levels of insulin prevent ovulation and trigger the ovaries to create testosterone
- Post-pill PCOS– It gets developed due to the birth control pills which suppress ovulation. For most women, these effects do not last long and they resume ovulating after the effect of the pill is over. But some women do not resume ovulating for months and years even after the effects of pills get over
- Adrenal PCOS – This occurs during a massive stressful period. Marked indicators are high levels of cortisol and DHEA. This is a rare case of PCOS
- Inflammatory PCOS– In PCOS due to inflammation, ovulation is prevented, hormones get imbalanced and androgens are produced. Inflammation is caused due to stress, toxins of the environment, and inflammatory dietary factors like gluten.
Some of the Symptoms of PCOS :-
- Irregular periods/ no periods
- Periods flow which is scanty, foul smelling, very less, etc.
- Face/ body acne
- Excess facial hair and body hair growth
- Weight gain/ weight loss
- Multiple cyst in ovaries
- Thinning of hair/hair loss
- Difficulty in conceiving
Main Causes of PCOS :-
- Over consumption of junk food and sweets- In today’s scenario, people are more prone to take outside food, junk food, packed food items, carbonated drinks, varieties of sweets etc knowingly and unknowingly. This has to be taken care of because it is affecting our health in a very negative way.
- Impaired digestion- Untimely food taken in wrong quantity will result in impaired digestion. This will further result in many diseases. Because according to Ayurveda, food is considered as medicine. So one has to take food considering their digestive fire. Likewise, food should be taken only when you feel hungry. Hot and cold foods should not be mixed and taken etc.
- Irregular sleep pattern – Today’s generation has developed a habit of spending nights awake and sleeping late and waking up late. This will not provide necessary rest to body and mind, which will further hamper all the normal functions of the body. So always follow a good sleeping pattern of early to bed and early to rise which will indeed make a person healthy, wealthy and wise.
- Mental stress, worries, overthinking, etc. – Now a days we are all in mental pressure cookers, work pressure, relationship pressure, motherhood pressure, etc which will not only effect our mental health but also our physical health.
- Lack of physical exercise -People like to relax more. But our body has to be used. So we need to do physical exercise to properly channelize our energy flow and keep a healthy mind and body.
- Sedentary life style -Most people are not ready to commit to regular physical exercise. Today’s young generation lead very sedentary lifestyles which itself is inviting diseases.
Ayurvedic Treatment & PCOS Ayurveda Diet
We have best treatment for PCOS in Ayurveda. Before taking any treatment we should properly diagnose weather it is Lean PCOS or Obese PCOS. After that first and foremost thing to be done is lifestyle management and proper diet
- Timely sleep
- Early awakening
- Do regular moderate exercise
- Practice meditation and yoga
- Always have light and easily digestible well cooked food
- Avoid unhealthy fat and sugar consumption
- Always follow timely meals.
- Other internal medication should be taken by considering the physical health and condition of the patient.
- Immediate treatment and lifestyle has to be taken for faster relief.
Some Ayurvedic Herbs for PCOS
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Even though PCOS is not a life threating condition, it eventually end up in many long-term complications like diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidaemia, obesity, infertility and even uterine and endometrial cancers.
Hair loss, hair thinning, receding hair line and even baldness (female-pattern baldness or androgenic alopecia) is seen in PCOS due to the excess levels of androgens which shrinks the hair follicles.
PCOS is one among the most common cause for infertility and increases the risk of miscarriage, gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, etc. Due to the irregularities in menstruation, ovulation and hormonal levels, it is difficult for a lady to get pregnant with PCOD but this condition can be effectively managed with Ayurvedic interventions.
Diet along with exercise is the first and foremost solution to this issue as PCOS is considered as a metabolic disorder rather than a pure gynaecological condition.
Whole grains, lean or plant-based proteins, vegetables and fruits are good for PCOS patients. Avoid or limiting sugar, processed and refined food, dairy products and trans-fat.